top of page

Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

Are you Eligible for the Rental Assistance Program?

The Rental Assistance Program (RAP) provides funding to Chicagoans who are at risk of becoming homeless. RAP helps Chicagoans who have housing right now, but who may become homeless soon because they lost income or had another eligible emergency that prevents them from paying rent.


  • Payment of future rent, or rent arrears to prevent eviction

  • Security deposits in cases of fire, flood, foreclosure, domestic violence, or eviction


  • You live in the City of Chicago

  • You are at risk of becoming homeless due to eviction, loss of income, or other emergencies

  • You economically classify as a low-income household

  • Your landlord completes the RAP requirements


  • Eviction notice, proof of loss of income, or proof of other qualifying emergencies

  • Paystub, benefits statement, or affidavit (explanation) of no income

  • Driver's License, State ID, CityKey, or other

  • Lease

  • Landlord agreement forms

Apply Online - Click Here

Download the RAP Flyer (click here)

Download FAQs (click here)

For help with your application, or to apply in person, call or visit any of the City of Chicago Community Service Centers. Community service centers are open Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Englewood Community Service Center
1140 West 79th Street, Chicago, IL 60620, 312-747-0200 
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Garfield Community Service Center
10 South Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, 312-746-5400 
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Center
4314 South Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL 60653, 312-747-2300 
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

North Area Community Service Center
845 West Wilson Avenue, Chicago, IL 60640, 312-744-2580 
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

South Chicago Community Service Center
8650 South Commercial Avenue, Chicago, IL 60617, 312-747-0500
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Trina Davila Community Service Center
4312 West North Avenue, Chicago, IL 60639, 312-744-2014
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.


The following documents may be required before final approval.

Affidavit of no income/no proof of income, no social security card, or no proof of identification

REQUIRED if anyone in your family does not have proof of income, a copy of their social security card, or valid identification

Property Owner/Management Company Participation Agreement
REQUIRED for application

Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
REQUIRED for all Property Owners/Managers

The following documents are required in specific circumstances

Property Manager Affidavit
REQUIRED for Property Managers if you are not renting directly from the property owner.

Property Owner/Manager – Client Payment Agreement
REQUIRED if more than 6 months rent owed

Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
REQUIRED for all Property Owners/Managers

Federal Funding for RAP

The DFSS Rental Assistance Program obtains its funds from the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG). The program is subsidized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). 

Get a Free Quote

This is a Paragraph. Click on "Edit Text" or double click on the text box to start editing the content.

Thanks for submitting!
bottom of page